Monday, December 6, 2010

Adventures in Baby Feeding!

I have been having the same conversation over and over with my husband George. I want"ed" to delay foods for Ashlynn as long as possible. Maybe I am just not ready and want to prolong the baby in her as long as possible since she is our last or maybe being part of a mommy community has shown me that somethings you need to hold off on.

Against my better judgment, George coerced me into giving her just a tiny bit of cereal last night. Should not be anything new since she is getting cereal in her bottle for reflux anyhow. Now everything was fine and dandy when we gave it to her and I did take note that she most certainly is not ready for foods (a big emotional relief) but fast forward to last night and I nearly had a nervous break down. She had the ultimate freak out. Something I have never seen before. Is this a girl thing? Did she aspirate cereal into her lungs and is now in serious trouble? Did the cereal (yup same kind she has been having for 2 month now) somehow cause an extreme stomach ache? Amazing how all these scenarios run through your head. You would think after having 5 babies, I would be immune to this type of meltdown by now and be cool as a cucumber but nope, I was convinced she needed to go straight to urgent care. George being the more level headed of the 2 at that moment convinced me that it probably had more to do with the fact that a super bug of sorts is going around our house and everyone from me to my 4 year old have been hugging the toilet as recently as 2 days ago.

Today she has been her shining self other then a little cough. So my decision is to hold off on foods for now and for tomorrow and even for the next few months no matter how bad my husband wants to see his daughter become a big girl.

Tips for moms old and new, do what feels best to you even when that annoying husband, mother in law, or mother say baby is ready to eat. Do not allow anyone to guilt trip you into doing something for your child that you know is not needed.

3 comments:

  1. Glad she is feeling better. Makes me feel better to know I am not the only non-FTM to have freak outs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have multiple freak outs a day. I'm on my third and I too still freak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto on being glad I'm not the only periodically freaking out mama with kidS, lol.

    By the way, I love your "Can you hear me now?" photo!

    ReplyDelete